Utilizing your Time Outside
If you are tired of exercising inside on a nice sunny day, exercising outdoors can provide various benefits to the individual choosing to workout outside. Benefits include:
- Improves your mood
- Enhances your self-esteem
- Connects you to your environment, and people
- Increases your appreciation for the beauty
- Reduces time constraints
- It’s free for everyone!!
The RiverPlex has different areas you can do your workouts, whether it be inside or outside. If you want to take your workout routines outside you can utilize the park, trails or walk along the riverfront for your workouts. This gives you a chance to explore the nature of Peoria around the river.
Here are some examples of warm-up and strength exercises you can do while out in nature.
Each of these exercises has a link to a tutorial video on how to perform each exercise correctly.
After your workout, it is very important to stretch those muscles you used. Stretching improves your flexibility and helps with muscle tension so you have a better range of motion after you completed your workout.
Some examples of ways to stretch outside include:
- Using a tree, wall, or fence by pushing against it allowing your body to move forward for upper body stretching
- Arm circles
- Using a park bench to strengthen your hamstrings by moving your arms towards your foot without touching
- Pushups on a park bench
- Side lunges